Jogging strollers are terrific for exercising with the family. We use them with our little ones and we see other families enjoy them when we were out with the truck. While they can be extremely rewarding and help you meet your fitness goals, they can also be a little bit dangerous if you are not careful. We are, after all, carrying some pretty precious cargo, so it is vital to have a grasp on the best way to operate these types of strollers. When we first started training with our stroller we went looking for our own tips to make sure we were using our jogger correctly and not putting anyone in harm’s way, ourselves included. So we thought we would pass along the favor.
We highly recommend this type of family exercise for anyone looking to get back into shape, lose some weight, reduce some stress, and get the kids out of the house for an hour or two. Any kind of activity has inherent risk, but taking the proper precautions can greatly reduce it. For the sake of both the one that is running as well as the one that is riding, we put together a few tips to help keep everyone upright and safe.
Safety Tips & Best Practices
- Avoid using a jogging stroller with a newborn. Generally, necks of babies start getting firm at around 6months of age. Babies below such an age are likely to get hurt if you jog with them. If you really have to jog with such a baby, ensure that the stroller allows the baby to recline for the whole body to rest comfortably.
- Before beginning to jog, ensure the buckle of the baby’s safety belt is locked. This should be crosschecked severally as you jog since the baby might unlock it as he/she plays with it.
- Find a suitable route. Avoid busy roads and sidewalks. This is to prevent accidents with traffic or the need to slow down as you overtake pedestrians which would ruin your jogging. Avoid rough and bumpy surfaces. Paved recreational paths are the best to use.
- Most jogging strollers have a wrist strap. Be sure to use it especially while jogging downhill. If something happens and you let go of the stroller, the wrist strap secures it ensuring safety for the baby.
- In case you stop, ensure that the wheels are locked. Most jogging strollers are designed with a lever that locks the rear wheels.
- It is advisable to use both hands to push the strollers. However, this is rather uncomfortable while jogging. You can use one hand at a time but alternate uniformly to avoid straining one arm. Always use both hands while on a hill or when negotiating a corner.
- It is common for people to use headphones to listen to music while jogging. This is not advisable especially while using a jogging stroller. You should remember that you are responsible for two people therefore you should be totally alert to avoid accidents with other road users.
- Keep your jogging stroller in good condition. Lubricate moveable parts and ensure that nuts and screws are all tight. Check the condition of the wheels too. Keep them well inflated and replace worn out ones.
- Watch your pace. Generally, you can run faster while jogging alone than when you are using a stroller. Run at a speed that you are able to maintain full control.
- Dress yourself and your baby properly. Keep an eye on the heat and the sun conditions.
- It is advisable to go for a jogging stroller with adjustable handlebars. This allows the user to set them at the most comfortable height and be able to maintain proper form while running.
- Carry with you a few items that you might need if you will be out for hours. Such things include some food, water and diapers for the baby. You can also carry a rain cover and a sunshade if your jogging stroller does not have them.
- If you can, avoid hills. Hills can be tough to climb, especially when you are carrying extra load. To prevent exhaustion, make room for breaks if you want to jog for a long distance.
- Carry a small first aid kit to cater for possible injuries. In case of injury, see a doctor after administering first aid.
Worth The Effort
These are just some of things that we have learned along the way while using our BOB jogger. If you are interested in learning more, the best jogging and running stroller ratings and reviews have all sorts of joggers for various types of budgets. They can be expensive, but they are tremendous for bringing the family together while providing superb health benefits. As long as you take the proper steps to lower the risks, the rewards will keep your family coming back for more.